Friday 9 August 2013

Cheap Tricks That Make Your Life Better

Dear Minions!!

How long it has been!! So sorry for my silence as of late, lots of laziness on my part, I must admit! I have been virtually internetless recently and just haven't had a chance to bring you guys nifty projects/ ideas, but I've got a great one for you today!!

I recently bought a new pair of flats and endured the inevitable heel blisters that come with breaking in a new pair of shoes :( I know you can buy stick on gel pads that stop the back of the shoe from rubbing against your heel, but I'm Dutch.... So I'm cheap!! I was looking around the sewing room and my eye spied upon a piece of scrap fleece..... And it hit me! Make my own Heel Savers! Here's how I did it!

 So, you'll need some scraps of fleece (if you don't have any scraps, you're local fabric store should either have a 'remnant bin' or give free 1 inch wide samples) and some heavy duty glue. I personally love Beacon 'Quick Grip' glue, it gets tacky quickly and given 24 hours to dry creates an amazing bond. You want to make sure you use something stronger than craft glue since the fleece will get a lot of wear in your shoes!

 First off, I took a chunk of fleece and folded it in half. I stuck it into my shoe where I want the pad to be to see how much excess I'd need to cut off. No one will really see this so it doesn't need to look amazing when you trim the excess, it just has to be functional :)



This is just to show how I cleaned up scrap, I trimmed the sides even and cut the bulk out of the bottom of the heel.


 Unfold your fabric piece and start gluing!

I used a liberal amount of glue on the lower half of the fabric scrap, you want enough that it'll stick together well, but not so much that the glue bleeds through the fabric when you fold it and apply pressure.


Then fold your fabric in half and press it firmly together so the glue smooshes a bit and the glue starts to bond.


Next step is to apply glue onto the back side of your fabric pad.

 Gently place your fabric in, glue side to the shoe heel and give a firm press in. I positioned my pad so that the folded edge is a couple millimeters above the top edge of the shoe, just to make sure there would be no rubbing!

And, Viola! Your shoes are all comfy-fied!!! No more rubbing and a good way to use bits of scraps! You could always try this with flannelette scraps, but the fluffiness of the fleece makes it feel like your heels are being hugged by kittens. And it doesn't get much better than kitten snuggles on your heels, am I right??


Coming soon, how I saved my favourite pair of jeans from the garbage bin! But until then my darlings........

Keep kreepin'!

Missa Deadlove xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment